Victoria College Belfast is a voluntary grammar school for girls founded in 1859 by Mrs Margaret Byers to provide an excellent education for young women and is one of the longest established girls' schools in the United Kingdom. Originally known as the Ladies Collegiate School, it was renamed Victoria College in 1887 by Royal Command on the 50th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne.
Margaret Byers’ vision was to provide for girls an education that was as thorough as that afforded to boys in schools of the highest order. She placed greater emphasis on providing young women with an education which would enable them to earn a living rather than lady-like accomplishments to please their prospective husbands.
Drumglass House is home to Victoria College’s boarding department and has been for over 90 years. The house was built by the Musgrave family in around 1855 and was one of the most prestigious houses in Belfast. When the last surviving member of the Musgrave family died at the age of 95, the House was sold and the gardens were bequeathed to the city of Belfast as Drumglass Park (also known as Cranmore Park).
Drumglass House was purchased by Victoria College in 1922 and following renovations, boarders and a Kindergarten took up residence in 1924. Vitaglass, the Great Hall and the Headmistress’s house were added in the late 1920s.
Whilst the fabric of the house is essentially the same, Drumglass House has been modernised to provide a first class boarding department with excellent facilities. We continue to update the facilities to meet the changing needs of our boarders. Wi-Fi and super-fast fibre optic broadband were installed in 2014.